- OPEN CALL FOR STUDENTS IS OUT NOW,APPLY AND BE PART OF PROJECT VILLAGE 2015!application deadline: 16 May 2015for details click on 'APPLICATION'
- _____________________________________________________________________________________________________HELLO WOOD OPEN CALL FOR WORKSHOP LEADERS:We are looking for team leaders in Project Village 2015,a workshop and symposium held 11-19 July.Applications are due before the 15th of April,submissions of the plans are due before the 3rd of May.Feel free to provoke, raise eyebrows, fuel the discussion!PROJECT VILLAGE 2015
- international workshop & festival for art and architecture -
July 11-19 2015 / Csórompuszta, Hungary
Mahatma Ghandi once said: “the Future of India lies in its villages”. Yet contemporary architectural discourse has focused mostly on the role of the city within society. How many times have we heard that more than half of the world's population now lives in cities? What if, for a moment, we moved away from our obsession with the city, revisited Ghandi’s famous words and said: The future of the world lies in its villages!
The traditional understanding of the village suggests the smallest urban formation, in which different community roles take an architectural form. The village is an outgrowth of its own socio-political, historical and environmental context over a long period of time.
Can this process be addressed differently? Can settlements generate their own context? Can a week-long exercise in real-time masterplanning, practicing the craft and politics of building, partying and constructing our own community lead to a new form of village?
PROJECT VILLAGE 2015 IS PROPAGANDA FOR REVERSED URBANISATION.
By leaving the city and by occupying a piece of the countryside for a week- long workshop we will build a community-settlement.
We ask professionals and students from around the world to bring their experience, their pre-conceived and revolutionary ideas of each part of the village and to negotiate these against time and material constraints, the neighbor’s lot, and –most importantly– the common purpose.
We all have our culturally influenced idea of what a village is. By challenging the informal and rural fantasy of the village, Project Village will become an instant functional settlement. The major programmatic parts will include those of a traditional village: Community space, dwellings, market, school, barn and so on. All will be infused with the pleasure and fun of the temporary collective. What defines a cohesive community settlement? Will we find the wooden prototype for an ideal market stand? Will we establish our own economy that informs a new type for the place of trade?
Let’s try to find out if tomorrow’s villages will be about sustainability, survival or pleasure. Join us in this debate and help us realize our collective fantasy of a village designed, built and inhabited by its architects.
In 2015, once again, we have the opportunity to build 12 projects, on our site in
We are looking for team leaders: architects , designers and artists, either practicing professionals or academicswho feel inspired by Project Village.After the Hello Wood workshop, the installations will be exhibited in the Valley of Arts Festival and then will be taken to one of Europe’s biggest music and cultural event, Sziget Festival and the Budapest Design Week.Hello Wood 2015’s co-curator is Johanna Muszbek, a practicing architect and landscape architect in New York City who graduated from the MSc. Advanced Architectural Design Program at Columbia University, currently working forDiller Scofidio + Renfro.PLEASE READ THE CALL FOR PROPOSALS FOR DETAILS, YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT HEREMAGYAR VERZIÓ ITT
- ____________________________________________________2015 MARCH:HELLO WOOD 2015 - PROJECT VILLAGEconference and workshop
- ______________________________________________2014/2015 WINTER:CHRISTMAS TREE WITHOUT THE GLITTERIn 2014 we built a Christmas tree together with Design Terminal and the Hungarian Interchurch Aid in one of the most central squares of Budapest. The installation is 11 meters high, 4,5 meters wide and was made of 5000 pieces of firewood that weigh 150 quintals. After last year’s project, when we built a huge Christmas tree made of sledges, this year’s goal was to create a Christmas tree for the Budapest community, which symbolizes the importance of caring about each other. All the firewood used in the installation are given to families in need in January.
- WATCH OUR VIDEO:
- ______________________________________________2014 FALL:HELLO WOOD AT BUDAPEST DESIGN WEEKHELLO WOOD PRESENTS: BENEDETTA TAGLIABUE (MIRALLES – TAGLIABUE EMBT)’BLENDING AND EXPERIMENTATION’ – LECTURELOCATION: Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design Budapest1121 Budapest, Zugligeti út 9-25. / Auditorium
DATE: 8/10/2014 10:00PARTNERS: Design Terminal, Embassy of Spain in Budapest, Doctoral School of Moholy-Nagy UniversityENTRY: freeBenedetta Tagliabue is one of the best known contemporary architects. The buildings of her office, the Miralles-Tagliabue EMBT include the New Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh, the Diagonal Mar Park, the Santa Caterina market in Barcelona, and the Spanish Pavilion at the 2010 Shanghai World Expo which was awarded the prestigious RIBA International “Best International Building of 2011” award. This is the point where the office and Hello Wood are linked, as the designer of this pavilion, Salvador Gilabert Sanz represented the office in the Hello Wood camp this year. Benedetta talks about the relationship between theory and practice, the activities of the office and the closely related Miralles Foundation, the achievements and the challenges held by future, and about how a woman can succeed in the world of architecture./ In partnership with Budapest Design Week 2014/
HELLO WOOD 2014- ARCHITECTURAL EXPERIMENTS -INTERNATIONAL WOOD WORKSHOP & FESTIVAL
- THANK YOU FOR YOUR APPLICATIONS!
- “what is joy without sorrow? what is success without failure? what is a win without a loss? what is health without illness? you have to experience each if you are to appreciate the other. there is always going to be suffering. it’s how you look at your suffering, how you deal with it, that will define you.”- Mark Twain -
- Architecture of Balance: Hello Wood 2014 open call for admissionAPPLICATION DEADLINE FOR PARTICIPANTS:16 MAY 2014Hello Wood is one of the leading international architecture and design camps in Europe: last year more than 100 architects from 12 countries participated in the summer workshop. All work, produced in Hello Wood carries two attributes: it’s mostly of wood and it’s characterized by an interplay of art and social commitment. This year, for the fifth time Hello Wood has the opportunity to create 12 wood installations in its summer workshop in Csorompuszta, a charming village of Balaton uplands, Hungary.Hello Wood is looking for workshop leaders and student coming from the world of architecture, design or other art fields, who feel touched by its current topic: BALANCE. Our aim is to create pieces that can capture the delicate moment of equilibrium by reacting on uncertainty, skepticism or disproportion; notions that can easily be translated to the language of architecture.
For all the details, please read the open calls!
- ______________________________________________2014 APRIL:HELLO WOOD AT BUDAPEST SPRING FESTIVAL 2014Hello Wood collaborated with Budapest Spring Festival on three projects. We built a BUTTERFLY HOUSE installation on Erzsébet Square, a venue with concerts, fashion shows and performances. The huge B.U.D.A.P.E.S.T sign on Heroes Square and the smaller FESTIVAL CUBES were real tourist attractions during the Festival.
- _______________________________________________________________________2014 MARCH:HELLO WOOD FACTORY // INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Hello Wood Factory’s creative program allows young architects and designers to work with acclaimed professionals in a 12 month period. Factory is a platform which gives a chance for the participants to find solutions to real problems, work on multidisciplinary projects and international competitions, last but not least to build a strong, diverse portfolio. This year's intership program will start in the middle of March.
- ______________________________________________2013 DECEMBER:HELLO WOOD'S CHRISTMAS TREE AT THE PALACE OF THE ARTS BUDAPESTThis year the Palace of Arts (MÜPA) celebrates Christmas with a 11 meters high Christmas tree!Hello Wood built a special installation made out of 365 sleighs - it stood in front of the Palace of the Arts until the end of the Holidays. All sleighs were to the little inhabitants of the SOS Children’s Village by favour of Telekom.The setting of the Christmas tree took one week for the Hello Wood team and the amazing structure of the interior was open for visitors from the 5th of December till the 6th of January, 2014.HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!
- ______________________________________________2013 OCTOBER:DESIGN PICNIC BY HELLO WOOD- DESIGN WEEK BUDAPEST 2013 -A sunday picnic with great independent culinary groups at the Design Week Budapest on 29 September, 2013.
2013 SEPTEMBER:HELLO WOOD 2013 EXHIBITION // BUDAPEST DESIGN WEEK
Hello Wood installations were exhibited at Müpa - Palace of Arts. Two installations placed in front of MÜPA and one inside the building from 3 October until 16 November, 2013.
- ______________________________________________2013 AUGUST:FESTIVAL INSTALLATIONS // SZIGET FESTIVAL 2013Hello Wood team has been working with Sziget Festival since 2011, one of the biggest festival companies in Europe to create some extraordinary sights.
We developed small decorational elements and huge party places also over the past few years that were loved by thousands of visitors each year.Our team can travel and build similar interactive and artistic creations anywhere in the world.CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO